Macoun, Saskatchewan

The Village of Macoun was established on October 16,​ 1903. Macoun was named after the great Canadian Botanist John Macoun. In 1903 Macoun had 2 elevators in operation along the CP Railway. The first post office opened September 1, 1903. 1920-1921 brought in SK Government telephones, CP Telegraph, Dominion Express Presbyterian, German Lutheran and Norwegian Lutheran Churches with a public school and a community population of 275 residents. Over time Macoun incorporated general stores, hardware and lumber shops, insurance companies, farm equipment retailers, a doctor's office offering prescription medications, real estate company, newspaper, blacksmiths, barber, hotel, restaurant, garage, contractors, a Royal Bank and more. An explosion and fire took out the 3 storey wood frame hotel on April 20, 1914 killing 13 people and destroying 4 other buildings along Appleton Ave. July 13, 1947 saw another fire in the community that destroyed the CPR Station which was a one storey building with office, waiting room, Agent's Quarters and an Express and Freight Warehouse. No fatalities occurred in that fire. 

SEE OUR COLLECTION

Visit Us!

Address

454 Appleton Ave

Box 58

Macoun, SK   S0C 1P0

Contact

(306)634-9352 Office
(306)634-9377 Fax
[email protected]

Hours

Mon-Fri: 8:30am - 3:30pm
Sat-Sun: Closed
Holidays: Closed

Social